The Certificate of Mining Studies (CMS) is an innovative approach to educational development. It uses a flexible approach to continuing education and cross-training of people in the mining industry and related trades.
The program combines the convenience of online learning with short-courses held in a classroom and then finishes the learning experience by assigning a project to be completed after the short-course.
The benefits of this learning model are that it:
- integrates the benefits of online learning with those of classroom lecture and independent project
- minimizes the requirement for time away from the job
- accreditation emphasizes commitment over past education:
- academic accreditation by an internationally recognized and respected university mining department (UBC NBK: Institute of Mining Engineering)
- professional accreditation by a leading mining institution (CIM)
- a resource for mining corporations to enhance their intellectual capital that can be integrated into EIT (Engineer In Training) programs
The program has been developed as a co-operative effort by the University of British Columbia (UBC), the Canadian Institute of Mining, Metallurgy and Petroleum (CIM) and EduMine, the professional development division of InfoMine Inc. An Advisory Committee of seven persons from mining companies and representative organizations provided valuable supporting advice on the development of the model.
Short courses are offered at locations outside of Vancouver to accommodate corporate and community needs and interests. If you would like to bring a UBC Mining Studies course to your location, call us at UBC Mining Engineering (604 822 2540) or send an email to LLL@mining.ubc.ca.
Additional courses for Life Long Learning can be found at: http://www.edumine.com/xedumine/classes.htm