Admission Requirements

Admission Requirements

The application period for each August opens on October 1


Applications to the Master of Engineering program are made online through the portal: Supporting documents are initially uploaded during the online application process. Upon admission offer, the official supporting documents are sent to the Mining Engineering Department at:

UBC- Norman B. Keevil Institute of Mining Engineering

UBC- Mining Engineering
Masters of Engineering Program Office
517-6350 Stores Road,
Vancouver, BC V6T 1Z4

Applications are not considered complete and will not be reviewed unless all supporting documents and references are submitted. The number of candidates that can be accommodated is limited, we accept the best-qualified students as vacancies occur. The program starts at the beginning of August, but limitations on the number of students that can be accommodated require that applicants be selected well before this date. Students are encouraged to submit applications for admission as early as possible. Students are required to participate in the August Orientation and begin their academic coursework in September of the year.

Once admitted to the MEng program, international students must apply for a Canadian study permit. For more information, please visit:

Students should also apply for housing on UBC campus as soon as possible, as campus housing is extremely limited. Housing applications can be made when the online program application is done. For more information, please visit:




North American Admissions Requirements

Applicants holding the academic equivalent of a 4-year baccalaureate degree from UBC, conferred at a recognized institution in North America, may apply for a master’s degree program with:

  • A minimum overall average in the B+ range (at UBC 76%) in third- and fourth-year level courses, or
  • Academic standing with at least 12 credits of third- or fourth-year level courses in the A-grade range (at UBC 80% or higher) in the field of study, or
  • Applicants who have a four-year baccalaureate degree or its academic equivalent, which does not meet the requirements stated above, but who have had significant formal training and relevant professional experience to offset such deficiencies, may be granted admission on the recommendation of the NBK Institute of Mining Engineering, with approval of the Associate Dean of Applied Science.


International Admissions Requirements

International applicants are eligible who hold a credential deemed comparable to a Canadian four-year baccalaureate degree and who demonstrate superior academic standing, equivalent to an overall degree standing of B+ (at UBC 76% or higher). The University has established specific minimum admission requirements for graduates of different countries.   You can check the minimum academic requirements by country here:

Requirements for All Applicants

Master of Engineering Program Online Application

For an online application form and detailed information, please visit:

Be prepared to complete the following sections on the online application:

  • Academic History including: Institution Names, Countries, Dates, Degrees
  • Specialization Specific Questions:
    • Specialization:  Please select one of the four specializations or select “Other”
    • Statement of Intent: Please give a brief summary of your reason for applying to UBC, the MEng program and mining engineering. (maximum 500 words)
    • Work Experiences:  Please highlight your work experiences.
    • Internship Experiences: Please highlight any internship experiences.
  • Referees: Enter the contact information (name, institution, address, phone number, fax number and email) for your three referees.
  • Application Fee: The application fee for this program is $106 for Canadian Citizens/ Permanent Residents or $168.25 for international applicants. You will be asked for your credit card information. Your application will not be processed without payment. Application fees are non-refundable.


Supporting Documents

  • Current Resume (Curriculum Vitae)
  • Statement of Intent
  • Transcripts
    Upon an offer of admission all applicants must arrange to have two (2) official transcripts from all colleges and universities (other than UBC) attended sent directly to UBC.  The address will be provided with the request for the documents.
    To be deemed official, the documents must be in sealed and endorsed envelopes issued by the Registrar of the home institution. In European countries where a Diploma Supplement is available, two sealed and endorsed sets may be submitted in lieu of academic transcripts and/or translations.

If the official transcript does not indicate the degree name and the degree conferral date, then an official degree certificate is also required. If the issuing institution does not mail original academic records directly, then stamped, attested true photocopies of academic records in sealed envelopes and endorsed by the Registrar of the home institution will be accepted as official by UBC. All transcripts (and degree certificates) must arrive in sealed and endorsed envelopes issued by the home institution to be considered official. Applicants who have graduated from institutions where the transcripts (and degree certificates) are issued in a language other than English, must arrange to have two sets of all official academic records issued in the original language AND accompanied by certified English literal translations. If the issuing institution does not provide English translations of academic documents, the applicant must arrange for official English translations to be done by a certified translator. All English translations must also be submitted in sealed, endorsed envelopes from the translator. Photocopies of documents used for translation must be identical in appearance and content to the official academic records received from the Registrar of the home institution.

The Mining Engineering, Masters of Engineering Program Office does not accept uncertified photocopies, academic records that have been opened or any documents that does not come in sealed envelopes endorsed by the issuing institution, or those that arrive without the official seal of the university, nor do they accept photocopies notarized by a notary public, or endorsed by a translator, lawyer, professor, judge etc. Please do not send transcripts or degree certificates that are not in sealed and endorsed envelopes. It will only delay the processing of the application.

Letters of Reference

A minimum of three references are required for application to graduate programs at UBC. References should be requested from individuals who are prepared to provide a report on your academic ability and qualifications.

There are three possible formats for references:

Electronic references: In the online application system, applicants are asked to provide an email address for each referee. (Please note, that we are unable to accept e-mails from Hotmail, Yahoo, GMail, MSN or other free e-mail accounts for referees.) A unique link will be emailed to each referee, allowing them to log in to a secure site and submit an online reference or upload a reference document as an attachment.

Paper letters of reference. Your referee may wish to send a paper letter. Paper letters of reference should be on referee’s official letterhead.  The envelope should be sealed and endorsed by the referee.  Due to current COVID 19 protocols, many BC staff are working from home.  Our office does not currently have regular mail delivery.  Please verify the address that reference letters should be sent with the program staff before sending.

Paper reference forms. UBC provides an academic reference form and a professional reference form.

  • The academic reference form is used in situations where the referee is someone who you have interacted with in an academic setting (e.g. referee was the professor of a course in which you were enrolled).
  • The professional reference form is used in situations where the reference is someone who you have interacted with in a professional setting (e.g. referee was your supervisor at work).

Your referee will fill out the applicable reference form and mail it directly to the relevant program in a sealed and endorsed envelope.

English Proficiency Test

If you are an international applicants and your undergraduate degree is from a university where a language other than English was the official language of instruction, you must take and pass one of the following English language proficiency exams:

  • TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language): minimum score 90 for the internet-based exam (with minimum component scores of 22 [reading, listening] and 21 [writing, speaking].
  • IELTS (International English Language Testing Service): minimum overall band score of 6.5 with no other component score less than 6.0 of the academic (NOT general) IELTS test

Use the University of British Columbia’s institution code 0965 and the NBK Institute of Mining Engineering department code, 69. Give the reason for taking TOEFL “to enter a college or university as a graduate student”

Your English language proficiency exam must have been completed within two years of your application submission date.