Mine safety, health and risk management, whole system design, sociotechnical systems, intervention effectiveness
University of California, Los Angeles, 1982, B.S. Kinesiology (Integrated Biology and Physiology)
California State University Northridge, 1989, M.S. Health Science
- University of Utah, Department of Mining Engineering:
- Western Mining Presidential Endowed Chair in Mine Safety 2011 – 2015
- Associate Professor, 2011- 2015
- Director, Center for Mining Safety and Health Excellence 2012 – 2015
- University of Utah, College of Medicine, Rocky Mountain Center for Occupational & Environmental Health:
- Adjunct Lecturer, 2010 – 2016
- SSR Mining Inc, Vancouver BC, VP Safety & Health
- KGHM International Ltd, Vancouver, BC, SVP, Health, Safety & Environment
- Dyno Nobel Ltd, Salt Lake City, UT, SVP, Health, Safety, Environment, Risk & Sustainability
- Rinker Materials Inc, West Palm Beach, FL, VP, Health & Safety
- Phelps Dodge Inc, Phoenix, AZ, Director, Health & Safety
- Member, Safety Committee, Canadian Institute of Mining & Metallurgy, 2019 – present
- Chairman, International Academy of Mining Safety & Health of SME (IAMSH-SME), 2017 – 2018
- Reviewer, Journal of the Southern African Institute of Mining and Metallurgy, 2014
- Member, Utah Mine Safety Technical Advisory Council, Utah Labor Council, 2013 – 2015
- Reviewer, Risk Analyst, 2012
- Member, U.S. NIOSH, National Occupational Research Agenda, Mining Sector Council, 2012 – present
- Member, Board of Governors, SAFEX International, Geneva, Switzerland, 2008 – 2010
- Trustee, American Industrial Hygiene Foundation, 2004 – 2007
- Director & Treasurer, American Board of Industrial Hygiene (ABIH), 1997 – 2003
- Chairman, Employer Group, Meeting of Experts on Safety & Health in Non-Ferrous Metals Industries, ILO, Geneva, Switzerland, 2001
- Advisory Board, Western Mining Resource Center, Colorado School of Mines, 2000 – 2002
- Member, CDC, NIOSH, Mining Health & Safety Research Advisory Committee, 2000 – 2003
- • Reviewer, Applied Occupational and Environmental Hygiene, 2000
- • Editorial Review Board Member, American Industrial Hygiene Association Journal, 1995 – 2001
- • Reviewer, American Industrial Hygiene Association Journal, 1993 – 2000
- Hethmon TA, Edelman PA, 1993, Sick Building Syndrome, New England Journal of Medicine, 329: 503 – 504.
- Hethmon T A, Ludlow S K, 1997, 1995, Comparison of Air Sampling Methodologies for Sulfuric Acid Mist in Copper Electrowinning: Field Evaluation and Development of a New Method. Proceedings of the Second International Conference on the Health of Miners, Applied Environmental and Occupational Hygiene, 12 (12): 1041 – 1046.
- Hethmon T A, 1997, Development of an Industrial Hygiene Program at a New Large Copper Mine in Chile. Proceedings of the Second International Conference on the Health of Miners, Applied Environmental and Occupational Hygiene, 12(12): 900 – 905.
- Hethmon T A, Dotson, K B, 1997, ‘Chapter 74, 74.18 – 74.21: Mining and Quarrying: Surface Mining.’ ILO Encyclopedia of Occupational Health and Safety, 4th Ed, ILO, Geneva, Switzerland.
- Hethmon, TA, Muranko, HJ, 1999, “Industrial Hygiene Abroad: Occupational Hygiene” Patty’s Industrial Hygiene and Toxicology, 5th Ed, Vol 4, Wiley-Interscience, NY, NY.
- Borak J, Cohen HJ, Hethmon, TA, 2000, Copper Exposure and Metal Fume Fever: Lack of Evidence for a Causal Relationship. American Industrial Hygiene Association Journal, 61(6): 831-836.
Muranko H J, Hethmon TA, Smith, RG, 2001, Total and Respirable Dust Exposures in the U.S. Carbon Black Manufacturing Industry. American Industrial Hygiene Association Journal, 62(1): 98 – 103.|
Hethmon TA, Doane CW, 2003, Chapter Two: “Health and Safety Management” Mine Health and Safety Management, SME, Denver CO.
- Greenberg D, Hethmon, T, Burgess, J, 2003, Chapter 46. “Mining Industry” In: Occupational, Industrial and Environmental Toxicology, 2nd Ed, Mosby, Philadelphia, PA.
- Hethmon TA, 2018, Chapter 3: “Zero Harm Coal Mining” In: Advances in Productive, Safe, and Responsible Coal Mining. Elsevier Woodhead. Amsterdam, The Netherlands.
- Hethmon T, 2018, “Body of Knowledge for Mining Safety and Health Management” Mining Engineering. SME, Denver, CO, 6:41 – 43.