I obtained my first degree (B.Sc.) in Poland in 1994, in chemistry with specialization in environmental and colloid chemistry. After completing my PhD at UBC in 2002, in the area of the surface chemistry of froth flotation, I joined the Department of Mining and Mineral Processing Engineering as an assistant professor. The program was renamed in 2006 to Norman B. Keevil Institute of Mining Engineering, and I have remained with the Institute since then. I have taught a number of undergraduate courses in mineral processing (flotation, coal preparation, bitumen extraction) along with two graduate courses on the surface chemistry of fine particle processing. My research interests are also in the broad area of interfacial chemistry of mineral processing systems, as reflected in my publications record. I was granted tenure, with promotion to associate professor in 2008, and in 2016 I was promoted to full professor. I am also registered as PEng in the area of chemical engineering.
- University of British Columbia, 2002, Mineral Processing, Ph.D.
- Maria Curie-Sklodowska University, Lublin, Poland, 1994, Environmental
- MINE 333 Flotation
- MINE 462 Coal Preparation
- MINE 488 Heavy Oil Sand Mining and Processing (a block of three lectures on bitumen extraction)
- MINE 520 Advanced Coal Preparation (with Dr. Maria Holuszko)
- MINE 522 Processing of Mineral Fines
Service and Outreach Activities
At UBC, I have served on various occasions on a number of committees in the Faculty of Applied Science and in the Faculty of Graduate Studies, related to graduate curriculum, scholarship adjudication, or research awards. I am also a member of the Metallurgical Society of CIM.
I provide short-term consulting services to the industry. I also offer a number of short courses on various aspects of mineral processing, e.g.,:
- -“Froth Flotation, Gas Phase, Interactions of Gas with Solid and Liquid Phases” – a one-day short course given to Air Liquide, Newark, Delaware (USA), 2016.
- – “Flocculation, Aggregation, Chemistry of Flocculants, Treatment of Suspensions of Fine Mineral Particles” – a short course given to HudBay Minerals, Flin Flon (MB), 2016,
- -“Froth Flotation” – a two-day short course given in Lima, Peru, 2013, in collaboration with EduMine Inc. (Vancouver, BC).
- M.R. MacIver and M. Pawlik, “Measurement of Optical Backscattering Height Scans from Flocculated Mineral Sediments”, Colloids and Surfaces A: Physicochemical and Engineering Aspects, vol. 514, pp. 38-46, 2017.
- A. Atrafi and M. Pawlik, “Foamability of Fatty Acid Solutions and Surfactant Transfer Between Foam and Solution Phases”, Minerals Engineering, vol. 100, pp. 99-108, 2017.
- A. Atrafi and M. Pawlik; “Surface Tension and Gas Dispersion Properties of Fatty Acid Solutions”, Minerals Engineering, vol. 85, pp. 138-147, 2016.
- R. MacIver and M. Pawlik; “In-situ Image Analysis of Batch Settling of Flocculated Minerals with Physical-Statistical Feature Extraction Method”, XXVIII International Mineral Processing Congress (IMPC), Quebec City (QC), Canada, Sept 11-16, 2016.
- L. Gutierrez and M. Pawlik; “Observations on the Yielding Behavior of Oil Sand Slurries Under Vane and Slump Tests”, The Canadian Journal of Chemical Engineering, Vol. 93, pp. 1392-1402, 2015.
- C. Garcia Vidal and M. Pawlik; “Molecular Weight Effects in Interactions of Guar Gum with Talc”, International Journal of Mineral Processing, vol. 138, pp. 38-43, 2015.
- W. Liu, M. Pawlik, and M. Holuszko; “The Role of Colloidal Precipitates in the Interfacial Behavior of Alkyl Amines at Gas–Liquid and Gas–Liquid–Solid Interfaces”, Minerals Engineering, vol. 72, pp. 47-56, 2015.
- L. Gutierrez and M. Pawlik; “Influence of Humic Acids on Oil Sand Processing. Part I: Detection and Quantification of Humic Acids in Oil Sand Ores and Their Effect on Bitumen Wettability”, International Journal of Mineral Processing, vol. 126, pp. 117-125, 2014.
- L. Gutierrez and M. Pawlik; “Influence of Humic Acids on Oil Sand Processing. Part II: Relationship Between Bitumen Extraction, Humic Acids Concentration and Power Draw Measurements on Oil Sand Slurries”, International Journal of Mineral Processing, vol. 126, pp. 126-135, 2014.
- E. Arinaitwe and M. Pawlik; “Dilute Solution Properties of Carboxymethyl Celluloses of Various Molecular Weights and Degrees of Substitution”, Carbohydrate Polymers, vol. 99, pp. 423-431, 2014.
- W. Liu and M. Pawlik; “The Role of Colloidal Precipitates in the Interfacial Behavior of Long-chain Ionic Surfactants”, XXVII International Mineral Processing Congress (IMPC), Santiago, Chile, October 20-24, 2014.
- E. Arinaitwe, L. Gutierrez, and M. Pawlik; ”The Effect of Polymers on Wettability of Bitumen”, XXVII International Mineral Processing Congress (IMPC), Santiago, Chile, October 20-24, 2014.
- E. Arinaitwe and M. Pawlik; “A Role of Flocculant Chain Flexibility in Flocculation of Fine Quartz. Part I. Intrinsic Viscosities of Polyacrylamide-based Flocculants”, International Journal of Mineral Processing, vol. 124, pp. 50-57, 2013.
- J. Engwayu and M. Pawlik; “Analysis of Polymer Adsorption on Hematite Using Zeta Potential Distributions”, Materials Science and Technology MS&T 2013 – UBC-UoA-McGill International Symposium on Fundamentals of Mineral Processing, Montreal, QC, October 27-31, 2013.
- A. Atrafi and M. Pawlik; “Frothing Behavior and Adsorption Mechanism of Sodium Oleate at the Gas-Solution Interface”, XXVI International Mineral Processing Congress, New Delhi, India, September 24-28, 2012.
- L. Gutierrez and M. Pawlik; “Alkali Extraction Test to Detect Oxidation of Bitumen in Oil Sand Ores”, XXVI International Mineral Processing Congress, New Delhi, India, September 24-28, 2012.
- E. Arinaitwe and M. Pawlik; “Solution Conformation and Flexibility of Carboxymethyl Cellulose”, Second International Polysaccharide Conference, Polysaccharides as Source of Advanced and Sustainable Products, Wageningen, The Netherlands, August 29-September 2, 2011.
- A. Atrafi and M. Pawlik; “Frothing Behavior of Fatty Acids”, Minerals Engineering International Conference “Flotation 2011”, November 14-17, 2011, Cape Town, South Africa.
- M. Pawlik; “Structure-Performance Considerations for Polymers Used in Mineral Processing”, 5-th Pacific Rim Conference on Rheology, August 1-5, 2010, Sapporo, Japan.
- L. Gutierrez and M. Pawlik; “Rheological Measurements on Oil Sand Slurries”, 5th Pacific Rim Conference on Rheology, August 1-5, 2010, Sapporo, Japan.