If your undergraduate degree is from a university where the official language of instruction was not English, you must take and pass one of the following English language proficiency exams:
- TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language): minimum score of 90 for the Internet-based exam (with minimum component scores of 22 [reading, listening] and 21 [writing, speaking]).
- IELTS (International English Language Testing Service): minimum overall band score of 6.5 with no other component score less than 6.0 of the academic (NOT general) IELTS test.
- Use the University of British Columbia’s institution code (0965) and the NBK Institute of Mining Engineering department code (69). Give the reason for taking TOEFL “to enter a college or university as a graduate student.
- Your English language proficiency exam must have been completed within two years of your application submission date.
- For more information, visit the graduate studies website.
- All English proficiency test scores should be sent directly to the Department of Mining Engineering:
UBC Mining Engineering
Graduate Certificate Program
517- 6350 Stores Road
Vancouver, BC V6T 1Z4